English 20-2

Pre-requisite: Students must have completed English 10-2 with 50%, English 10-1 with 25%, OR English 20-4 with 50%.

RVSCLC

ENGLISH 20-2 COURSE OUTLINE

Instructor:  Candice Horne

 

There are five modules for this course.  Each module will have essential questions to guide your learning, texts to read, and notes.  Each module will include both formative and summative assessment.

 

Module One:  various short stories

 

Module Two:  Modern Play:  "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson

 

Module Three:  On-site module

  • You must make an appointment after you have completed module two to come on-site to complete module three:
  • On-site written response (you may use all of your notes)
  • Reading comprehension test

 

Module Four: Novel Study-April Raintree by Beatrice Culleton OR or Hole in my Life by Jack Gantos

 

Module Five: Film Study (Invictus OR The Pursuit of Happyness and various poems

 

  • There are no tests/quizzes/final exam/midterm for this course.

There is no final exam for the course but there is a diploma exam and that is worth 50% of your mark.

 

Course Weighting

 

  • 70% of your mark is your course work and the other 30% is your final exam mark

 

Exam dates to be announced.

  • Major assignments are worth 45%/ Minor assignments are worth 25%

 

 

REWRITES POLICY

Students are eligible for rewrites on a case-by-case basis.  Sometimes you will be asked to rewrite an assignment by your teacher.

If you choose to rewrite you must make sure you've given a copy of the original (assessed) essay to your teacher as well as the re-write.  Please make sure to clearly label the rewrite.

Re-writes are only permitted on major assignments and you must get approval from your teacher.  If your mark is above a 75% then you will not be eligible for a rewrite.

 

English 20-2 Course Expectations

Important Information:

As you are reading the course texts you may have questions about characterization, theme, plot, symbol and context.  While you are welcome to peruse the regular websites for information (Sparknotes, Schmoop etc.) it is quite common for students to inadvertently end up plagiarizing information from these sites.

I will encourage you to come on-site to discuss these questions about the text with me.  If you can’t come on-site then you are welcome to e-mail me questions or even call me!

RVSCLC:  ACADEMIC INTEGRITY

Plagiarism and cheating are serious issues of academic dishonesty and will be dealt with in a serious manner. If you have been found to have plagiarized on an English assignment or cheated on a test, the following consequences may occur:

  • the administration will be informed and it will appear in your student record at this school
  • you MAY be given another chance to complete a similar assignment.  You must come to your home campus and complete the assignment under supervision if given permission to rewrite.
  • records of plagiarism will be kept by the administration.
  • if a second incident occurs, the student may be removed from the course and will have to take it at a different school or at a later date.
Document Actions