English 30-2

Pre-requisite: Students must have completed English 20-2 with 50%, or English 20-1 with 25%.

RVSCLC

ENGLISH 30-2 COURSE OUTLINE (2016-2017)

Instructor:  Candice Horne

There are five modules for this course.  Each module will have essential questions to guide your learning, texts to read, and notes.  Each module will include both formative and summative assessment.

Module OnePassion Project introduction, various short stories

Module Two:  Modern Play:  One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest

Module Three:  On-site module

  • You must make an appointment after you have completed module two to come on-site to complete module three:
  • On-site Writing (you may use all of your notes)
  • Reading comprehension test

Module Four: Novel- Into the Wild by Jon Kraukauer or The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver or Indian Horse by Richard Wagamese

Module Five: Film Study (Whale Rider, Life of Pi), various poems

  • There are no tests/quizzes/final exam/midterm for this course.  Module three can be considered the only test for the course and it is weighted equally with the other modules.

There is no final exam for the course but there is a diploma exam and that is worth 50% of your mark.

Course Weighting

  • 70% of your mark is your course work and the other 30% is your diploma mark

Semester Two:

Part A is on June 15th, 2017

Part B is on June 22nd, 2017

  • Major assignments are worth 60%/ Minor assignments are worth 30%

REWRITES POLICY

Students are eligible for rewrites on a case-by-case basis.  Sometimes you will be asked to rewrite an assignment by your teacher.

If you choose to rewrite you must make sure you've given a copy of the original (assessed) essay to your teacher as well as the re-write.  Please make sure to clearly label the rewrite.

Re-writes are only permitted on major assignments and you must get approval from your teacher.  If your mark is above a 75% then you will not be eligible for a rewrite.

 

English 30-2 Course Expectations

Important Information:

As you are reading the course texts you may have questions about characterization, theme, plot, symbol and context.  While you are welcome to peruse the regular websites for information (Sparknotes, Schmoop etc.) it is quite common for students to inadvertently end up plagiarizing information from these sites.

I will encourage you to come on-site to discuss these questions about the text with me.  If you can’t come on-site then you are welcome to e-mail me questions or even call me!

RVSCLC:  ACADEMIC INTEGRITY

Plagiarism and cheating are serious issues of academic dishonesty and will be dealt with in a serious manner. If you have been found to have plagiarized on an English assignment or cheated on a test, the following consequences may occur:

  • the administration will be informed and it will appear in your student record at this school
  • you MAY be given another chance to complete a similar assignment.  You must come to your home campus and complete the assignment under supervision if given permission to rewrite.
  • records of plagiarism will be kept by the administration.
  • if a second incident occurs, the student may be removed from the course and will have to take it at a different school or at a later date.
Document Actions